Saturday, April 5, 2008

My Man Hudson

Tim Hudson just picked up his first win of the year as the Braves beat down the visiting Mets 11-5 in the first game of their series. (Last night's game was rained out, thus no Extra Innings. Sorry if you tuned in)

The Braves certainly came out ready to play as they jumped up early. Even when the Mets tied it up, the Braves came back and back and back. Every time the Mets came with something, the Braves ANSWERED. That bodes well for the year. Hudson showed why he is the new ACE of the team (sorry Smoltzie, but Huddy is the new NUMBER 1, at least for me)

Chipper played well, Kotsay did some things right, McCann and Frenchy played well and Big Tex, you may be starting to bring it. Your two hits equaled your season total thus far, but you drew some walks and scored so I might stop killing you for a while on this blog. (Sorry, but I did have to bring it up on Extra Innings Thursday night.)

The other thing that should be looked at. While Martin Prado got on base a few times, his deal is with Fielding. And he made a few mistakes in the field today. Throw in the fact that Kelly Johnson hit a pinch hit GRAND SLAM and I think it is time for KJ to man the 5 again. I told Paul Mac last week that KJ's C+/B- defense, but sweet swing is a better option than Prado's B+ fielding yet D- batting. It just is. While I think KJ should be farther along in being a second baseman, I think he is getting there and you can't keep his swing and bat out of that lineup. Plus I want him hitting leadoff and letting Escobar hit second.

Finally, are we still paying Jorge Sosa? Is that why he pitched so poorly against us today? Just wondering. And Santana/Smoltz is still on for tomorrow. That should be classic. I think Smoltzie in front of the home fans will give one for the ages.

But Huddy is still Number One.

No comments: