Saturday, April 5, 2008

G-Day Baby

Thoughts from G-Day....

I thought G-Day would be exactly what it was. I didn't think Caleb King would go off and he didn't, but then again Knowshon only rushed for 68 yards last year on 11 carries. Matt Stafford and Knowshon both got more work than I thought they would. Matt looked solid and he made a few throws that were quite good. The TD throw was good (but our lack of defense was scary there) and that 35 yard laser he threw was VERY impressive.

But the guy that impressed me the most was Logan Gray. At this point, why is Joe Cox the number two guy? Because this is his fourth year in the system? The guy certainly led UGA in the Colorado game, but come on. Gray was a PLAYER out there today. He ran and made a few guys miss (Buck Belue hit it on the head when he called him Charlie Ward-like) and his TD throw was RIGHT on the money in a window ABOUT the size of the football. The safety was there and the CB was there, but the ball was just better. Wow what a throw that was.

On D, Asher Allen got beat a few times. If he wants to be a shutdown corner, he needs to step up, but he will be fine. Overall, I like it when the game is low scoring, that means the D is ready, but our first team Offense looked good and you KNOW the D will be ready. They weren't allowed to really go after the Offense, for fear of injury, so I think it will be ok.

I did get a little worried when Vince Vance went down with 70 seconds to play. Hopefully he is alright.

Overall, the line will find a Center and a leader by South Carolina (they have two games to get ready) and Matt and KM will rock and roll, I think. People say UGA needs to find a DE to replace Howard, I say let them come in waves. Instead of one guy getting the 12 sacks, have 3 guys getting four. I know it would benefit everyone if One guy stepped up as he might command double teams, but when you have THAT much talent, play them all. Keeps them fresh. And I DO like our defensive secondary. Between PMill, AA, Evans, Knox, Cuff, Jones, Byrd and Banks, I think they are ready. And the linebackers will be studs too.

Boy I am excited. COME ON AUGUST!

No comments: