Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Can't find fault with Cassel trade

By NO means am I a Bill Belichick/Patriots fan. I WAS rooting for them to beat the Rams, Panthers, Eagles, and Giants in those Super Bowls, NOT because I wanted the Pats to win, but because I wanted the Rams, Panthers, Eagles and Giants to lose. I would have rooted for the Chargers in those Super Bowls. If the Pats played the Falcons or Redskins, I'd be rooting for the Falcons or Redskins.
But I am NOT a fan of my fellow media members piling on Belichick for Spygate and trying to call the trade of Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel to the Chiefs for a second rounder, Spygate part 2. (Jay Mariotti, I'm look at you!) And as for my 790 coworkers the Two Live Stews, we've disagreed on many things and I guess this is another thing. Doug, you REALLY want the commissioner to go back and review this trade and force Belichick to take a first round pick?

There are ZERO problems with Belichick getting "just" a second rounder for Cassel. The fact that this "dishonest" man had an agreement with a team, then followed through with it, DESPITE a better offer (allegedly) came around. (PS, we don't KNOW that Denver/TB/NE deal would have gone through. that's a LOT of strings). Why is he getting killed in the media for this? If he had gone back on his word to Pioli to take the deal for the 1st rounder, he'd be getting killed for "going back on his word." The guy can't win. It is clear that everyone that is killing him just plain DOESN'T like him and are picking any battle they can, despite the fact they have ZERO legs to stand on.

THIS IS THE DEAL HE WANTED. Jay Idiotti and Doug Stewart want the NFL to step in and veto this trade and FORCE belichek to take the 1st round pick? WHY? So his team can get even better than it will now? If BB had wanted the 1st rounder, don't you think he'd have taken it?

Finally, how do we know it was REALLY offered? After the deal is done ANYONE could have come out and said, "Oh I offered 9 1st round picks!" How do we know? It is after the fact. Also, if you are the Chiefs, and you know Cassel is now worth that, don't you call up Denver and say, "Hey, you really want him for a 1st and and 3rd? Here you go! Where are my picks!?"

I call BS on that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I loved the deal from when I read about it yesterday too. They traded a backup QB for another 2nd rounder (cost effective) between that and Vrabel they gained around 18 million of cap space (so they could resign Wilfork if they want) and find 4 first day picks I believe or perhaps one of those is 3rd round. Either way... I think they have 4 in the top 50 or 55 or something.
We don't know what or when it was offered. I know this, Bill Belichick could care less about helping Scott Pioli. This was about helping his team. He franchised Cassel which he could live with, found a deal which is essentially low first round for all intents and purposes, and he'll probably find a starter with that pick which is better than he had with Cassel.
In other words... bird in the hand, is worth two in the bush.

Apparently in New England they are wondering why Vrabel went also... well, cap space and Vrabel is on the downside of his career. They are getting younger... faster cheaper at linebacker. They can find Mike Vrabel again no problem maybe in Connor Barwin lb/te Cincinatti.