Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Midweek Entertainment report 3/25/09

TV sucks when the Prez is on, Three new shows tickle my fancy (oooo-weeeeeeeeee) and Schwartz/Savage are AT IT AGAIN!

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, AS PROMISED...THE MIDWEEK ENTERTAINMENT REPORT!

CLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAP!

Last night I went to hit golfballs with Ricklace, Christie, and Wifey and didn't have to worry about missing Idol or ANYTHING ELSE because the Prez was on TV. I didn't watch but I hate it when the Prez is on TV. Networks ALWAYS feel the need to pre-empt REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING so we can hear the guy talk. (And not just this prez, but all of them. It stinks.) HEY, if I REALLY CARED, I'd watch CNN. But I don't. Sorry. Just fix the stuff and then you can preempt AI to tell me my 401k is healthy again.

Three new shows have or will soon debut and Sportsbyfletch wants to weigh in on what the editors are watching...
Kings on NBC (Sunday 7pm). I still think this show is going to be cancelled in about three weeks, but it was mildly entertaining yet again last week. The King is turning out to be a bit of a douche and now I am sort of pissed that the Princess and David are "fighting." Really? They need to hook that up worse that Booth and Brennan on Bones.
Roommates on ABC Family (Monday 9pm) This show was sneaky funny Monday, just cut the laugh track out. I am intelligent enough to know when to laugh and if you use canned laughter, it makes me NOT want to laugh. I get it, you have a comedy that you want to succeed, but the borderline jokes just aren't funny. Actually the show had moments that were legitimately funny that you didn't need the laugh track. And PS, do we think BOTH of the SISTER/SISTER girls are playing the one part, like the Olson twins used to do? Or did the casting director say, "yeah, we think YOU look the part, but not YOU. Sorry." Ouch.
SouthLAnd on NBC (Thursday 10pm) This show debuts next week or the week after, and I am pretty pumped about it. Ryan Atwood apparently gave up his Architect firm and relationship with Taylor Townsend to move to LA to be a cop. Well, I guess he will now patrol the Chino streets. Good for him. This show looks to have a dynamo cast and I am excited mainly because I don't normally watch anything else during that time slot. I've never really gotten into a Copshow, but maybe I can with this one. WE SHALL SEE!

And finally, Wifey and I decided to Netfle-ox Gossip Girl, the first season. Schwartz and Savage are at it again and this time, THE OC is the Upper East Side of NYC. But the first four episode were bumping. (Well, the first three, as the fourth got a little...enh with the poker and the photo shoot.)
I see that Schwartz and Savage decided to give the "fish-out-of-water/non-rich kid enters the life of rich kids" angle another shot. Actually, this one is a BIT more believable than the way Ryan Atwood ended up in Newport. And Dan Humphrey seems to have a bit more going for him than Atwood did. I also got a little uncomfortable with the casting of Marissa Cooper as a dude in Nate Archibald. Oh, I'm a rich kid with the world being handed to me. My life sucks. And I like that Chuck Bass is there (in PJs mostly. That is funny. I want some matching PJs!) to call him on it.
But the best part of the show is that it is based on the Traveling pants girl and her relationships with SBFF/rival Blair as well as BF? Dan. The triangles that we've already gotten into in just four episodes have been splendid. Nate/S/B. Dan/S/Nate. Chuck/Jenny/Dan. S's mom/Rufus/Mr. Bass. Good stuff. I like it. Even the parents are getting in on it. And the music is great, the dialogue is believable and this could OVERTAKE The OC (well, not the first 7 episodes) for Sportsbyfletch's TV editor.
Other notes from the show: Did Nevan base his City character off of Chuck? Does anyone else think that Blair's character is the lovechild of Minka Kelly (Lyla from FNL) and Rachel Bilson (Summer from The OC)? WOW that is crazy.

That's it, have a great rest of the week. TT and Daddio are in town, so Real World and Survivor might be delayed a day or two.

No comments: