Friday, March 20, 2009

First day with few surprises....GOOD!

When I opened up my Sporting News daily newsemail, I saw the headline "March Blandness."

I SAY GOOD! Screw this madness stuff. Why in the WORLD would a TRUE college basketball fan NOT want to see THE BEST matchups in the sweet 16 and elite 8 and final four?
Why in the world do I want to see an upset? The only upsets I like seeing is when SOMEHOW a midmajor claims a 7 seed or 8 seed and the major conference 10 or 9 beats them.
I guess I did enjoy seeing Michigan (10-seed) beat Clemson (7-seed), but I didn't think that should be classified as an upset. EVERYONE knew Clemson would lose in the first round (and if you didn't you have been ignoring SBF, to which I say SHAME SHAME. I called this back in DECEMBER!). Would I have liked to have seen Memphis lose in the first round? NO. (Though it would help me in my bracket pool since Roomie has memphis in the final game i think. That would have helped.) Honestly though, I want to see great basketball over the next few weeks.
An upset? The only people that like the upsets are people that hate sports but watch because their better halves/other family members really like sports. That way, when the good games down the line are ruined, the sports fan is less likely to watch and will more likely want to watch HGTV or do yard work, or go to the Opera. (That is their logic, but odds are the sports fan will still watch, only a little bit will be dead inside from having to watch Florida play George Mason when he could be watching Duke/UConn in 2006).

"March Blandness?" I say "March the way it should be!" You can stuff your upsets in a sack. I prefer good basketball!

PS, 15-1 after day one. Now that is sure to fade away but I can gloat for one day. (PS, hey VCU, thanks for douching up my perfect day yesterday. Three missed shots in the final 30 seconds or so. Thanks. Anthony Grant, consider your name OFF the Georgia list!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are kicking my ass this year Roomie....I think you're right, this is the year of the Fletcher.