Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Paul Mac's weekly NFL Draft thoughts

I think the Falcons could be going Offensive Tackle in the first should one be there. (Maybe Andre Smith of Michael Oher?) There isn’t much talk of it. I know most people are Larry English/Linebacker or Corner Back… They still need serious help on the right side of the line and could upgrade from Clabo. If a good one is available… don’t be surprised if the Falcons go offensive tackle at #24 because of the value for the money based on the level of talent available in the need positions.

As far as the Wake Forest LB Curry...I know Sportsbyfletch's own Fletcher Proctor agrees with me and said as much on Score Atlanta Sports Sunday two days ago (Sundays from 10-1 on Sports Radio 790 The Zone!). Peter King is now in my camp when it comes to Curry. Quote King: I think you look at that and say, "Aaron Curry fifth? I thought he might go to Detroit first.'' Well, he might. But here's the question you ask yourself with Curry: Do you want to take a linebacker who doesn't sack the quarterback first overall and hand him $34 million? Can you justify that financial outlay for a three-down linebacker, but a linebacker who doesn't rush well, a linebacker who averaged one sack for every 17 quarters of college football he played?

I think he will be an absolute tackling machine in the NFL. The guy should be a quality backer for years to come in the right system… but there are a lot of those guys that get 150 tackles a year taken in the 2nd round and they don’t cost 34 million. If the player doesn’t make game changing plays or enable my other really expensive already in place player to make plays I don’t want them in the top 5 picks.

If you’re picking in the top 5 you are there because you lack playmakers. Franchise QB is by far #1 if one isn’t available, Franchise Offensive Tackle, Franchise Defensive End, World Changing Safety, Pass Rushing OLB (3-4) in that order are who I’d take If there is a Patrick Willis I might consider top 5 ILB if the others aren’t there. Wide Receiver and Corner to me are not really worthy except in a very unique situation like Calvin Johnson and that’s really rare.

Paul Mac is a regular contributor to Sportsbyfletch. Be sure to check back for more from Paul MacPaul's new Sports Radio and Blogging Ethos...."Tomorrow's Conjecture TODAY!"

No comments: