Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A Christmas weekend picks-my gift to you!

Ahhhhh, I've really been meaning to post my picks for the bowl season, but really the bowls don't begin until after Christmas. They shouldn't begin until after Christmas I should say. I mean do we REALLY need the Armed Forces Bowl between Navy and Wake Forest? I mean, we've SEEN THAT ONE BEFORE! Eliminate half of the bowls and make the minimum 7 wins. It used to be an honor to go to a bowl....not so much anymore. Make the bowls mean something again. THAT'S WHAT I SAY. It should be a reward, not a right. And if you go 6-6, you CANNOT GO TO A BOWL. Period.

But it is the Christmas season, so I will allow the losers that aren't good enough to play at schools that can actually make it to a New Year's Day bowl to have their day. With no further ado....(and since I will be away from the computer for the next few days. Hey, It is Christmas, I need a day off! I'm not Bob Cratchett. Wait, is that how you spell it?) THE CHRISTMAS WEEKEND PICKS!

#9 Boise State v #11 TCU in the Poinsettia Bowl. I don't care that it is two teams in the top 11. Neither of these teams can hold a candle to the big boys. TCU lost to OU. Boise State lost in 2005 to UGA. Oh, you beat Oklahoma in 2006, big whoop! You want respect? Play a REAL team EVERY YEAR. And beat that team. I have more respect for TCU with a loss than I do for "undefeated" Boise State. Give me a break. I won't be watching this game, because I will be on a plane, but I wouldn't watch if I was at home. REALLY? You guys with no money on this game will REALLY be watching? Come on....TCU wins.

Hawaii v Notre Dame in the Hawaii Bowl. The biggest question on ESPN about this game is....will Charlie the Hutt wear a Hawaii shirt? He will REALLY look like a tiki hut if he does. Do you think that when he gets off the plane, the locals will think he is some sort of volcano god and start to worship him? I bet when they have the luau, they give him his own pig. I am just thinking aloud here. Hawaii at home should win this game. Notre Dame lost to FREAKING SYRACUSE!

Florida Atlantic v Central Michigan in the Motor City Bowl. REALLY? You think I want to go to Detroit over my Christmas holiday? Will ANYONE be there? I am being serious here. Which will have more people in attendance, the ACC CHampionship or the Motor City Bowl? Tough call.....CMU wins.

West Va v UNC in the Meineke Car Care Bowl. Pat White in his final game as a QB v UNC. I think it is so cute that Pat White wants to be a QB at the NFL Level. Hey Pat, so do I. But neither is happening. He won't be denied in his final game. Sorry UNC, but I've got to go with the Neers! But if UNC does win, I am going to go ahead and say they will be in the ACCCG next season. It's the JUMP-OFF!

Wisco v FSU in the Champs Sports Bowl. My how FSU has fallen. I just wonder if ESPN will admit that maybe it jumped the gun with Bert Belima (spelling I am sure). BB and Chase Daniel.....hey, do you guys need me to pitch in with producing advice? Or should we just get Double D Chadd Scott back in charge up there? Go with FSU in this one.

Cali v Miami in the Emerald Bowl. I wonder how they will play with the Scarecrow, Tinman and Lion all walking around the field? The yellow-brick road reminds me of my sophomore year, playing two-hand touch football in the Hill Hall Parking lot. I remember once, I was defending our friend JJ Lewis deep and it was the last snap, if they scored, they won. If we stopped them, we won. CT threw it deep and JJ had a step on me. What did I do though? The only thing ANY good CB would do....I laid out and knocked the ball away. We won, but I got up and my arm was bloody after sliding about 6 feet on the pavement. My leg was bleeding and I couldn't bend my arm. I remember wearing Tony Wright's Letterman Jacket that night to go see The Ladies Man at Tate. That's the first time I met Poon! Anyways, I am sure I should have gone to the Health Center for a splint or something. I couldn't move my arm, but if I had, I would have missed the not-very-funny movie. My arm hurt for a few days. I used THAT as my excuse for not going to Botany class. Whew! As far as this game, go with Cali and Miami just might fire Randy Shannon and hire Tubs IMMEDIATELY after the game.

Northern Illinois v LaTech in the Independence Bowl. Normally this game has an SEC team in it, but not enough SEC teams qualified. If you listen to Lisa of Suwanee, a caller from my radio show a few weeks back, it is because the SEC sucks and the ACC is better. They have 10 teams in Bowl games. Yeah, and your conference champ is ranked #19. For the record. Too bad though that Arkie couldn't make it to this game though. It would have given Bobby Petrino the spotlight where he could have been asked about the Falcons job he left last year and how the Falcons are 9000X better without him rather than with him. Oh well....I actually don't care that much, but that last rant was for PMac. As far as this game, let's say Derek Dooley and the LaTechsters win because I don't know the NIU coach.

There it is! Happy third-eighth nights of Hanukkah and Merry Christmas! Happy Boxing Day to the Canadians and Have a Swell Kwanzaa to the 8 people that read Curtis! Talk to you all Monday.

(PS I went back and rewatched all of the Chrismakkuh Episodes of the OC, and if I had to rank them...Season 2, Season 4, Season 1, with season 3 pulling up lame...much like Johnny! I didn't really think about it, but the season 4 was the "It's a Wonderful Life" spoof. Nice. I still liked #2 the best though. Best season EVER!)

No comments: