Monday, December 22, 2008

Was 2008 a good sports year for Fletcher?

I know 2008 was a Zonetastic year for Fletcher on a personal level (he got married and every day is better than the last!) but as far as sports, was the year a good one, a great one, or a crappy year?

The year starts out with UGA winning the sUGAr bowl against Hawaii (shocker there...NOT), thus laying the ground work for a preseason #1 ranking.

Ohio State lost the title game YET AGAIN, this time to Les Miles and his Damn Good football team.

The New York Giants beat the Pats, so Boston fans finally shut up, but then New York fans started talking again.

The Hawks made the playoffs and I got to interview Kevin Durant and Jeff Green (maybe that was 2007. yeah, it was. Nevermind)

I got EVHEI, but the Braves sucked.

UGA won the men basketball SEC Tournament and I didn't have to be ashamed to be a UGA basketball fan for 4 days! But they went 4-12 the rest of the year and blew a double-digit lead in the NCAA tourney. I had them going to the Sweet 16. I'm an idiot.

UGA made a serious run in the College World Series, only to blow a 1-0 series lead and a 6 run lead in what could have been the close-out game. They lost to a guy with a broken finger that the announcers wouldn't shut up about.

The UGA football team knocked off Arizona State in Tempe with THISGUY in attendance...then got smoked by Bama and Florida, the latter with the SEC east on the line. Then the team lost to GaTech after struggling to beat UK and Auburn. Great. We ROCK!

My "new" team the Texas Tech Red Raiders promptly went out and laid an egg in the first game after I started pulling for them. THANKS LEACH!

Felton is STILL the coach of the UGA men's basketball team. But Florida didn't make the tourney. That's fun.

Florida is playing for the national title. But Tebow didn't win the Heisman!

Trey Thompkins is on the UGA basketball squad, but Bill Humphrey got kicked off the team. Darn you Felton!

The Redskins missed the playoffs, but the Falcons have clinched a berth And could even win the division with a victory Sunday, coupled with a Panthers' loss at Nawlins! COME ON DREW BREES!

Rafa Nadal beat Federer in one of the best tennis matches I've ever witnessed. The Roddick 5 setter in the Aussie open a few years back was right up there too.

Tiger making that putt on the 72nd hole at Torrey Pines was pretty awesome to watch. I am glad Paddy Harrington stepped up in his absense. I wanted something like that to happen. Paddy v Tiger at Augusta might be great, but I don't think Tiger will be healthy until maybe the British Open.

The USA won the Ryder Cup. GO ANTHONY KIM. He's my new fav golfer. I like the beltbuckle. Whatevs.

I got to watch Memphis and Robert Dozier make the NCAA finals. Wow, how good would UGA have been with Dozier on the squad? Thanks DFelton!

The GymDawgs won a national title. So did the UGA tennis team. I have to get my victories SOMEWHERE!

The Olympics proved that the USA is the best country in the world. Hey China, sorry you couldn't invent more events rigged for you guys to win. How about three-man diving? Or being small? We have Phelps! and our girls gymnastics team was legit and legal. I mean they still lost, but at least the US played within the rules. How about the basketball team too? See, when we put our BEST out there instead of AI and Marbury, the US cannot be beaten! Now sit down Greece, Argentina and Spain!

Josh Childress thought he was sticking it to the Hawks by signing with a team in Greece...peace, bro. The money the Hawks would have tied up in you went to three guys and the Hawks are better without you than they EVER were with you.

Bottom line I give this year a C-. Had such potential, but the football team LET ME DOWN.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I forget - who won our NCAA bball tourney? Did I beat you for the 3rd year in a row?

Anonymous said...

2008 REALLY SUCKED!

But I did win the 2008 DFBGC for the third time, becoming the youngest ever 3X Champion, only the second ever 3X champ. That's right!