Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Picks and the City

No this isn't a reference to sex and the city. This blog today is my response to the NEW MTV Monday night lineup. Bromance and The City. (Plus, you will also get the rest of my bowl picks!)

Let's start off by looking at Bromance. Wifey didn't think she'd watch it. She didn't want to, but she was hooked by the first commercial. Myself, I knew I would love it and it did NOT disappoint. I think the early favorite HAS to be Alex with Chris P (the frat boy from UK) right behind him. Also, I think Gary (the dude with the crazy hair) is a darkhorse. When he actually does his hair, it is kinda cool looking. FEMI by the way, should be going home soon. Dude is ONLY there to try and make a name for himself. I think sending Jacob packing was the right call and Michael leaving.....no doubt he would have gone home next week. (And from the previews, it looks like he would have gotten to meet LC. Ooops!)

Then we get to THE CITY. Just from the first two episodes, you can tell this is going to be better than The Hills ever was. In just the second episode you had more action than in the last three seasons of The Hills. Jay aka Justin Bobby 2.0 nearly got into a fight with Alex. NICE. ACTION! Plots moving along. THAT is what I am talking about. Not Speidi visiting Spencer's Nana. The Hills has gotten so stagnant that it is nice to see things ACTUALLY happening in episodes. I like that Olivia might be a villain. Alex might be bringing a wedge in between Jay and Twitney. Good stuff.

PS, Whit, way to go back to Jay's house on your first night in town. Good work there! Oh, I know today was my first day and I have to go back tomorrow, but hey, let's go sleep at Jay's place. I am sure no one will notice that I am wearing the same clothes....

And for Olivia, I thought you said Manolo Bhlanik was a family friend. He didn't seem to care about your first pair of shoes and why did he say "nice to meet you!"? I thought he was a family friend?

I cannot wait for this season. Let's just hope that by season 5 the writers won't be mailing it in like the Hills crew is.

Now then, ON TO THE PICKS! (Note, I am only picking interesting games. No one cares about the International bowl!)

#13 Okie State v #17 Oregon Hoiday Bowl. Here is my conundrum. Do I root for Okie State to finish strong so they can be ranked in the top ten next season when UGA goes on the road to Stillwater to face the Cowboys, or do I root for Oregon to win and send Okie State into a tailspin, hopefully leading to a bad offseason and a rough open to its season next year? Hmmmmmmmmm. Since I think UGA is losing next year at Okie State, let's have UGA at least lose to a top ten team. GO POKES!

Oregon State #20 Pitt. Sun Bowl. Before I get to talking about this game, let me say that, in my opinion, Will Smith is the worst thing to happen to mankind since Small Pox. In fact, I wish there was some sort of vaccine I could acquire to rid my life of Will Smith. You would think that in this Willenium, there would be the medicine. Maybe I should go to Miami for the operation....Let's Switch back to the Sun Bowl. This is a game between two good running backs, assuming that the Quizz kid from Oregon State can go. Take the Mustache of Pitt over the beards from Oregon State.

#24 BC v Vandy. Music City Bowl This is Vandy's first bowl game in FOREVER, going up against the Runnerups from the ACC. I wonder if Vandy is a little pissed that for the team's first bowl game, they don't get to travel. The game is in Nashville, aka the home of Vandy. That must suck, going to the bowl that is IN YOUR HOMETOWN. Hey, Tech, does that suck? BC meanwhile is ONCE AGAIN in a crappy bowl after having a chance to go to a BCS bowl. Hey, next time, WIN THE GAME and play in Miami! Crap. Will Smith reference!

Kansas v Minny Insight Bowl. Todd Reesing and Mr Arby v Tim Brewster and the team that couldn't beat anyone ranked. I would say that Kansas should win this one, but the REAL thing about this game that scares me....it is played in Arizona on Wednesday, but I arrive in Arizona on Wednesday, and I fear that Mangino might think I am a flying subsandwich. He might shoot me out of the sky and try and eat me. LOOK OUT! If I am not blogging come Monday, you will know that Mangino ate me.

SoCar v Iowa Outback Bowl. I kind of wish UGA was playing in this bowl, so I could go to Outback and eat cheesefries, but say, "Oh, I'm just doing this to support UGA. I am stuffing myself with a plate (or two) of what Men's Health calls, "The Worst food item" in the world. I mean honestly, a plate of that is WORSE than one of those double bacon cheese burgers on a krispy kreme doughnut? Come on. Take SoCar's defense shutting down Shon Greene. I am going with Steve Spurrier in this one! You can't spell Aussie Chips without USC!

Nebraska v Klimpsen Gator Bowl. As much as I hate Klimpsen for being a bunch of idiots, they have the horses to take down Nebraska. AND Dabo Sweeney knows that if he loses this game, then he will likely be fired and replaced with Tommy Tuberville. HA! I still love that Klimpsen fired Bowden and replaced him with Sweeney. WHY PANIC guys, you could have gotten that big fish! Oh well, Spiller had better fulfill his end of the bargain and come back....wait, he doesn't have a choice. He HAS to come back. The NFL doesn't want him! HA! Take the Tigers, or Hold the Tigers, what ever they say.

#8 Penn State v #5 USC Rose Bowl. I think I read where Matt Hayes of TSN actually thinks that Penn State will beat USC. REALLY? You REALLY think so? Or are you pulling a TMoore from the AJC just saying STOOPID things so people will reference you in blogs across the Internet? Let me tell you something there Matty, if you do that enough, people are going to think you really are stupid and they will stop asking you to be on their radio shows and writing about you because you will be fired. That's how it goes....at least how it SHOULD go. Take USC, the BEST team in the country and the ONLY team that could have beaten Florida in January.

#12 Cincy v #19 VaTech Orange Bowl. Could this be the LOWEST rated BCS bowl EVER? Wait, no that'd be Wake/Louisville from a few years back. You think the Orange bowl might actually be pushing for a playoff? I would if I was the OBCommish. Your tie-ins are the Big East and the ACC? Really? Or if I was in charge of the OB's picks, I'd just take USC and Texas and then say, "WHAT, I HAD the first and second pick. Sorry Rose Bowl." I'd bet anything that Carroll would LOVE that matchup. Oh well. As for this snoozefest, go with Cincy? The Fighting Larrys!

#25 Ole Miss v #7 Texas Tech Cotton Bowl. I love Ole Miss and actually have them winning the SEC West next year (assuming Hardy comes back). Their offense has playmakers and should be able to take advantage of a young Bama team and a crappily coached LSU team and an Arkie team that is still one year away from competing. Meanwhile, my Red Raiders might be a little disappointed to be in this game. I know EVERYONE is calling this one as their upset, but I think it is because it is going to happen. Watch out for Ole Miss next year!

UK v ECU Liberty Bowl. I would normally go with UK, but I just say Randall Cobb is out and Mike "put on your" Hartline is back in. See Sportsbyfletch sometimes gives you sports info too....not often and usually it is WAY after updates on The Hills, but HEY, STOP COMPLAINING! Take the buttpirates in this one. And PS, Daddio says that Skip Holtz is being talked about as UVa's next coach. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#6 Utah v #4 Bama Sugar Bowl. Now that Andre Smith is out, that means......Bama only wins by 20 points. FREAKING UTAH!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Yeah, the OLine will still be fine, even without Big ole Andre Smith. Saban wins the Sugar Bowl and gets booed right out of Nawlins. HEY LSU, GET OVER YOURSELVES!

#10 Ohio State V #3 Texas Fiesta. Let's put this game this way, I am in a confidence pool where you pick all of the bowls straight up and you win by putting a confidence score by the outcome. If you are super-confident, you put a higher score. If it is a tossup, you go with a 1 or 2. You get the idea. I put this game at 34 for Texas, ONLY BECAUSE I COULDN'T GO ANY HIGHER! Ohio State ALWAYS craps the bed in big games. This is considered a big game. Sorry Mr. Gibbons, but duh Ohio State loses AGAIN!

#2 Florida v #1 OU. This might be the most lopsided score in a national championship game since Florida smacked duh Ohio State. Actually, I am hoping that Florida gets a little too full of themselves with EVERYONE predicting them to win that it gives OU the "no one believed in us" card. But with no DeMarco Murray, it is going to be hard for OU to keep up with Florida. Sorry OU, I know you've scored 60+ in 8 straight games, but that was against Mizzou and Okie State and the rest of the crapsack defenses of the Big 12. You haven't seen a D like Florida's. I think Timmy Tebow wins his first national title (hey front-running Florida fans, Chris Leak won the one two years ago. And why weren't you flying the flags and rocking the magnets last year when the team lost to MICHIGAN?)

Local rooting interest.
Atlanta v Arizona, 1st round playoff game. WAIT, this is a pro game. Yeah, but with UGA struggling and GT being a bunch of D&D nerds, I figure, why not follow the Falcons in the playoffs? Hey they could go to the NFC championship game? THEY COULD! And NO ONE jumps on a bandwagon QUITE LIKE ATLANTA! (Well, except for Florida gator fans who, before 2006 didn't realize the school had a basketball program.) Why not follow the Falcons now they have a QB that DOESN'T dogfight in his spare time, but actually watches game film? It is an interesting concept! I think the ATL Dirty Bird Express goes to the Valley of the Sun and comes back with a spot in the second round. Hey, it could happen. Abraham could break Kurt Warner. The Cards looked pretty uninterested against New England. Maybe if Matty Ice gets up big, the Cards will fall like...a house of cards. Take the Birds! (the Falcons I mean. A cardinal is a bird too I guess.)

LSU v #14GT in the Chick-fil-a bowl. LSU is NOT interested in being here and GT fans will want to beat the defending BCS Champ. Then we'll have to hear how GT's offense could totally work in the SEC. Hey, dum-dum, you've beaten Missy State (awful team who asked Sly Croom to resign. Racists!), UGA (horrible Defense. the team should drop to the SoCon!) and maybe now LSU. Kudos. This one year TOTALLY makes up for the last 7 right? Yeah, keep telling yourselves that when you are playing before New Year's Day. GT wins though.

#15 Georgia v #18 Michigan State, Capital One Bowl. What's in your wallet? I CARRY A MONEY CLIP, THANK YOU! Listen, UGA doesn't want to be here and MSU is thrilled. Doesn't matter. If UGA can stop Javon Ringer (and don't think the defense hasn't had the press clippings drilled into its heads over the last month), it wins. Even if it DOESN'T stop Ringer, he will have to keep up with KM24 (MSU can't stop him) and Stafford to Green/MoMass (MSU won't be able to stop them). I am seeing this as how the Kentucky game played out with UGA scoring at will and coming up at the end with the stop to win the game. Dawgs take it, but if you are gambling, take the points and MichState. UGA wins 35-31.

Have a great and safe new year's eve eve everybody. Talk to you tomorrow before I board the plane

No comments: