Monday, December 1, 2008

my last UGA football rant for a while

THANK GOODNESS this season is almost over. Thank goodness I don't have to ruin anymore Saturdays watching this defense bend over for a FAR inferior team. (I made the joke yesterday on the air that I paid homage to UGA's defense against Tech when I shaved yesterday. The first half of my face went really well and looks great. When it was time to shave the other half of my face, I just quit.)

I got a little sick of CMR and Willie Martinez saying that, "Yeah the defense was giving up yardage and points, but they would come up with the stop when it mattered. Make a play when the team really needed one." Umm, John Calipari said the same thing about his Memphis team's free throw shooting last season. And Derrick Rose missed the free throws to ice the NCAA championship "when it mattered" just like UGA's defense couldn't get the stop "when it mattered." CRAP.

Also, Stafford's 5TD, 407 yards were wasted in the LAST TIME we will see him between the hedges. WOW. He has an arm, doesn't he? And MoMass, we'll miss you bro. Knowshon, you were running hard and making plays. I don't know if my blog or my saying you needed to step it up and stop taking plays on 790 did it, but if that begat the AJC which begat 680 and 790 to carry the banner, and you responded to that...to that I say YOU ARE WELCOME. KM24 is gone; his stock will never be higher. UGA's offense was NEVER the problem this season.

It was that poor excuse for a defense (Hey Rashad Jones and Danelle Ellerbe, LEARN HOW TO TACKLE!) and the special teams that did UGA in this season. If Blair Walsh is being told to kick it to the corner because they don't want to risk a runback for a TD (which happens, what, once a year?) THEN HAVE HIM KEEP IT IN BOUNDS! OR kick it to the center of the field at the 4 and TEACH YOUR COVERAGE UNITS HOW TO COVER!

I am tempted to say to the school to turn down a bowl bid: make a statement that the team UNDERACHIEVED and shouldn't go to a bowl just to go to a bowl.
But that will never happen. And really, that might not be such a bad thing. The team will get an extra month in which to practice and THIS TEAM COULD CERTAINLY use any extra practice.

Looking ahead to next season, let's hope a running back steps up (because Caleb King looks like the biggest wussy EVER to don the red and black and Richard Samuel just isn't there yet.). Perhaps DJax will be special and maybe Wayshaun gets eligible and is the second coming of KM24. Heck I'd settle for Carlton Thomas being Noel Devine 2.0 (just without all of the kids!) Pair that RB with Joe Cox (5th year senior) behind a pretty daggone good OL (Trinton Sturdivant will be back with Clint Boling, Ben Jones and the Davis "bros") with Figgons and Aron White at TE. Let's not forget AJ Green at Wideout....next year's team should finish with a better record than this year's version. Maybe even appear in an SECCG (wait, Tebow is back. Nevermind)

As for the defense....hey, it can ONLY get better right?
Is it basketball season yet? Crap, my nose is bleeding........

No comments: