Saturday, January 17, 2009

Friday Night Football is BACK!

Last night Friday Night Lights returned to free TV and I must say that it was GREAT to have it back. It seemed at least in this first episode that the show will talk about MORE football, like season one had, instead of the character-based season two. I read an interview with one of the show's producers and he said that the writers felt they could go into more off-the-field stuff last season because of season one. That was a disaster though in my opinion as we got Landry killing a guy and Lyla becoming a Jesus-freak. I hardly remember any football from last season.
The good news is, season three picks up like season two NEVER happened, which I appreciate. Lyla and Tim are sleeping together, Riggins is back for his third senior year, as is Tyra. Matt Saracen is a senior (which keeps true to the story) as is Julie (also keeping true to the story) and Smash has graduated (finally, keeping true to the story).
Before I continue, I just have to point out something that is weird here about the story lines, and i am sure that I am not supposed to think about it this hard, but you are telling me that Jason Street a SENIOR from season one was dating the head cheerleader Lyla, who was a sophomore at the time? And Street's best friend Riggins was ALSO a sophomore at the time? That doesn't make sense. AND Riggins, as a 16 year old sophomore was sleeping with his next door neighbor, possibly 30? COUGAR! I guess though the producers realized that Riggins is the show's bread and butter and they couldn't write him out just yet.

As long as the show brought back the great writers though from season one (and left the season two guys at home), this show will be fine. You got to see the humor in the conversations between Billy and Tim, Coach and Mrs. Coach and the real conversations between Coach and Smash. I am looking forward to this season of FNL, because HEY, there just aren't that many well written shows on TV anymore. No more WestWing or SportsNight. House seems to have taken a step back and Grey's Anatomy is unwatchable as long as deer are talking and coming back to life. Maybe Lie to Me will be good....

(Oh, and if you wanted my thoughts on JD McCoy v Saracen for QB1, I think that Saracen made some nice plays in game one, but if McCoy-a REAL Texas name there boy-outplays him in practice, bring him in. Make it a JoeT3-Matt Stafford conversion. Or use the Chris Leak/Tim Tebow formula. I say the best player should play, regardless of age or class. That's what Pete Carroll does at USC, and except for games against Oregon State, it usually seems to work out for him!)

No comments: