Thursday, January 8, 2009

So THAT'S the real New York?

According to the Promo, this season's cast of Real World Brooklyn is what New York REALLY is. So NY is really a former lezbinen turned straight (was she on A Shot at Love?), a Metro guy that has hit on two other of his male roommates but still claims he is straight, a former soldier that speaks his mind and is giving folks from Penn a bad name, a gay dolphin trainer, a wannabe stripper, a former pageant queen who fake tahtahs, Derek Zoolander-lite and a transgender? THAT'S the real New York?

I never realized.

Last night's season opener was enjoyable, but I'm interested to see how this crew will shake out. With no set jobs, what is to happen with these guys if they DON'T get jobs. Are we going to watch them just hanging around? Not bad, but what if they get a job at a grocery store, bagging chips and soda? Could the transgender work at 7-11? Or will shehe work at a dojo like shehe wants to do ultimately?

I think having a guy (read: Bigot) like Ryan there should be fun, HEY HE SPEAKS HIS MIND! And I like the idea of the SLC Punk (indie movie reference!) pissing off everyone else in the house, then trying to blame it on being a Mormon!

And wasn't it a bit odd that the transgender/Felicity Huffman wasn't crying when shehe said she WAS transgender to the Dolphin trainer. HE was crying, but shehe wasn't. I thought that was funny.

Finally, as far as the statement that everyone from Brooklyn is proud to be from there, are they really? I thought Brooklyn was dangerous? I remember seeing a movie where the FREAKING KIDS from Brooklyn were beating up cops! And they were all packing heat-well slingshots, but the posse was led by Spot Collins. And NONE of the newsies from the other sections of NYC wanted to go to Brooklyn. WHY? Because it was dangerous! I imagine Spot Collins is turning over in his grave at the thought that these Roomies think that they represent Brooklyn and the rest of NY. Poor Spot Collins.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness....I missed the premier!! Good thing it will be on 80 times this weekend.

I love the Newsies reference. And I hope they dont get jobs....the worst episodes of Real World are the ones related to the crew's jobs.

Anonymous said...

yeah fletch outside of the obvious racist sentiment, john rocker basically described it properly.