Thursday, January 15, 2009

Was Brandy the most overrated singer/actress ever?

I was watching the E! channel earlier and saw that Brandy has released/dropped her new music video. Interesting, I didn't realize she was working on a new album. I also didn't realize that she was still relevant. Hmmm. But wait, was she EVER relevant?

After cruising through her Wikipedia page and her IMDB page, I saw that she was, in fact HIGHLY overrated. She was the UPN/WB/CW equivalent of Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson from a few years back. CJ was a guy that "had the tools" but could never put it together, then got drafted by the worst team in ALL of football where he's done bupkis. Brandy is the same way. In fact her brother Ray J is probably more famous than she is.

She was nominated for about 10 "Image" awards, whatever the heck an Image Award is, for her title role of Moesha. That was a REALLY great show on UPN or CW or whatever. (PS my tongue is so far in cheek that I look like a squirrel!)

She sang a few songs and made a few videos for MTV, but honestly can you name ANY of them? Didn't think so.

I know she went to the Prom with Kobe Bryant, but that was 1996. 13 years later THAT is what I remember. She then was engaged to Quentin Richardson, also of the NBA, but that fell apart, probably because Q got WAY more famous than Brandy and needed some one ACTUALLY in the spotlight.

Oh, remember when Brandy didn't know the capital of Brazil in I Remember what you did last summer (which was really two summers ago!). I remember learning Brasilia when I was in the 5th grade. Way to go Brandy! COME ON! And you are in college?

I just wonder what happened with Brandy and why everyone thought she was a big thing? What did she do (or who did she sleep with) to get popular? Was it her time on Thea? Brandy was just way more sizzle than actual steak. And I'm not sure why so much hubbub was made about her. And why do we need to know her latest video? I can't remember her last one.

Brandy and Calvin Johnson: Two people that NEVER lived up to the hype. (I just don't remember him in his three seasons. Was he injured in all of those games against UGA?)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apparently she is in fact relevant since you took the time to do an entry about her on your SPORTS blog.

When you win Grammy's, star in a successful television show, have a lengthy career while maintaining immeasurable talent and inspire millions, then MAYBE you can speak on someone's relevancy

That is all.

Anonymous said...

to paraphrase Hugh Grant, "Ooooooooo, would we call Moesha successful?"

And as far as winning a grammy, she won that WITH Monica. That is like when Paris from American Idol claimed she came from a Grammy Award winning family. Her grandmother was in a gospel choir that won a grammy. Stings were attached to Brandy's "Win."

And as far as inspiring "millions," really? I think we should change MLK Day to MLK/Brandy day then!? How about it?

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about Brandy. You shouldn't take cheap shots at CJ though. As I recall, all you mutts in Athens wanted him really badly. Maybe he should have come there and been overthrown by stafford. Your jealously of TECH is glaringly obvious. We had CJ. We hired a coach that will bring us a championship. Good Luck with your choir boy Richt. 45-42, suck it!

Linda F said...

I definitely think she's overrated as a singer. I do not care for her singing voice.