Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Catholics are angry!

I saw where the Italian Catholic Church is refusing to let Angels and Demons (the Dan Brown book-based movie) be filmed in churches in Rome. Apparently both "The Da Vinci Code" book AND movie outraged the Vatican. (to be honest, the movie outraged me as well, but only because it was so disappointing.)

The new movie will star Tom Hanks and Ob-Wan aka Ewan McGregor. If you haven't read A&D, it is the prequel the Di Vinci code, and in my opinion is better than DVC.

Yahoo movies reported that filming began this month at some of the capital's most famous sights including Piazza Navona and Piazza del Popolo, but entry was denied to the churches of Santa Maria del Popolo and Santa Maria della Vittoria."The Da Vinci Code" outraged the Vatican and some Catholics because of its storyline that Jesus married Mary Magdalene and had children, creating a royal blood line that Church officials kept secret for centuries.

Boo hooo. Get over it Pope!

I was awaiting this movie ever since I read the book and hopefully Ron Howard (or whomever is writing/directing) doesn't mess this one up like he did DVC.

It also got me thinking, what are the other books I've read recently that would make fantastic movies.....

Fab Five (about the Fab Five of Michigan. Why has no one done a movie about this yet? Blue Chips is still the ONLY college basketball movie I can recall, and that was terrible.)

Marley and Me (come on, like that wouldn't break records!)

Dean Koontz's Velocity

David Baldacci's Camel Club or The Collectors (The Camel CLub is the first of the two, but the Collectors is the better of the two IMO. You could have a crew of Dustin Hoffman, Jon Voight, Michael Clark Duncan and David Morse as "Oliver Stone")

Or Baldacci's Split Second with a Claire Danes/Alison Lohman along side a Matthew Fox/Billy Crudup

Just a few I'd like to see.
They already made The Iliad into Troy, which was OK. That used to top my list
I'd also like to see a movie on The Legend of Zelda done
Just saying

No comments: