Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Really? You were REALLY offended?

Don Imus did it again! That much was said by my station 790 The Zone's Afternoon Saloon. He did it again! Da Kang actually was saying that Imus had the right to spew his "bigot ideas" on the air, but we have a right to turn the station.

And I agree...with the last part. If this Imus guy wants to insult the Rutgers' women's bball team and then ask what "color" Pacman Jones is, let him. He will suffer with the loss of his job or money and/or sponsorships. Honestly, I was surprised he returned to the regular radio airwaves and didn't take his schtick to XM or Sirius, but whatever.

If people want to get all huffy over this, I ask why? You know he probably underneath is a bit racist. You KNOW what you are getting when you turn him on. If you don't like it, turn it off. No one is FORCING you to listen to this guy.

As for this being a story, it ISN'T! Stop talking about it. He explained himself. If you choose to buy it, whatever. That's your call. Frankly, I don't care one way or the other. There are things that I am ALLOWED to not have an opinion on, and THIS IS IT. I don't care.

As for The Afternoon Saloon's response to him, let's not say that Chevy's sponsoring Imus is akin to them sponsoring a Klan rally. I just don't buy that Chuck. Sorry. Hometeam, he probably is a closet bigot, but he has a listener base. He does. They tune in to him, so he is appealing to his listeners. I am not condoning this, I am just saying that he is being paid as a known commodity, and he is just delivering what he does.

Now, does he need to be fired, I don't think so. I am not saying I buy his explanation, but it was adequate. I think he should FOR HIMSELF, go to XM radio and save himself all the hassle he goes through. If it is a pay-per-listen thing, you can't really rip the guy. You can, OR you could just choose NOT TO BUY (LITERALLY) what he is selling.

Imus, do yourself a favor (and me one too, since I have to sometimes address this issue, even on EVHEI, where a caller wanted to ask about that last night, even though we were talking Braves. WHAT?) and just do to subscription radio. Then no one will care how much you pop off. Well, they still will, but that is because people take things WAY too seriously these days.
But that is the topic for a MUCH different blog.

No comments: