Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly

Sorry about no blog about last night's game. But I have decided to give you a big blog with my thoughts about LAST night's game, today's game and the Smoltz surgery decision....

First the good. The Braves rallied for two runs in the bottom of the 8th and got the 5-4 win over the Fish last night. NICE. Greg Norton, after providing shady defense and giving me several near heart attacks with his roundabout ways to the ball, came through in the bottom of the 8th, but YET again the REAL story is the lack of driving in those ducks on the pond and getting them into the water. The Braves left the bases loaded several times last night, INCLUDING the 8th inning. Good thing Soriano was able to close the door in the 9th and get the Braves the win. I guess I shouldn't complain.

Today's game...GRRRRRR! The Braves had the lead in the 9th and suddenly they lose thanks to a couple of home runs and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory as Skip said on the radio. WOW, that was just completely disappointing. I would have thought the Braves could have closed that one out, but they had Acosta closing instead of....

John Smoltz. Smoltzie has announced that he is having season-ending shoulder surgery after just one relief appearance and one blown save. Wow. That could be the last time we ever see Smotlzie pitch, even though he says he wants to come back next season. To that I say, "Wow, what a bulldog, but please John. Don't." This will be your fifth surgery and I just don't think the human shoulder was meant to go through all of that. If you want to have a normal shoulder/arm for the rest of your life, get the surgery and just rehab it and walk away.
I'd love for you to come back and I think you want to because you want to go out on top, but I don't think the Braves are winning it all next season. If you would have been that last missing piece, I say COME ON BACK! But I don't think you would be. I would HATE repeat HATE to see your career end, but it just might be time. I can't even believe I am saying that, but it might be.
John, one heck of a career, and you got a ring in 1995. You are the man. Enjoy America's golf courses and enjoy the Hall along with your boys, Mad-dog and Tommy.
And Maybe the Braves can take that 10-14M and sign a Joe Blanton perhaps? AJ Burnett?
Just throwing names out there.

No comments: