Monday, May 12, 2008

I miss the Cubs

I was in Chicago this past weekend for my sister-in-law's wedding and while there I was able to catch the Cubs' game on WGN (the local station not the Superstation, like the local TBS was here in Atlanta before it became Peachtree TV). It got me thinking back to my childhood, college life and time in Clayton.
The Cubs were ALWAYS on TV in the afternoon and it made the time right after classes or work so enjoyable. I loved watching Ryne Sandberg hit and Mark Grace rake and the Dunst-o-meter. I loved seeing Andre Dawson and while I never got into Sammy Sosa, I did like seeing Kerry Wood before his arm troubles. It was also interesting listening to Harry Carey and Steve Stone talk with Stone trying not to crack up.
I remember doing MANY a powerhour in Clayton while watching the Cubs, then figuring out MUCH later who won the game.
But now, I rarely get to watch them, because I am usually working when the game starts at 2:05 Eastern. Oh well. I am the post-game Braves guy so I need to focus on them anyways, but back in the day it was ALWAYS fun watching the Cubs, then flipping between the Braves and Orioles.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh the great times that was youth. Maybe one day I can get another job that will allow me to go back to watching those afternoon Cubs' games. Until then I will just think back fondly on those blue pinstrips and remember how the team could never find a thirdbaseman to complete the infield.

No comments: