Friday, May 30, 2008

They did it again!

I remember playing golf with Daddio one year at the DFBGC, and he was still in contention at the time when he pounded about 3 straight balls into the woods on number 16 to effectively END his run at the championship. After his first drive, he teed up another ball and hit is smack in the woods and exclaimed, "I did it again!" Then he reached into his pocket, and as my brother (the Lil Man, who LIVES in Cincinnati) and I watched, he plunked YET ANOTHER ball into seemingly the same spot of woods and he yelled, "I did it AGAIN." As he was about to tee up another one, the Lil Man and myself talked him into dropping one up by the trees.
I tell this story, because as the Braves walked off the Great American Ballpark field tonight, losers 3-2 in 11 innings, they had to have been thinking, "We did it AGAIN," with the same disbelieving, incredulous/semi-mad smile across their collective faces. YET ANOTHER ONE LOSS GAME.
This one was tough though. They had a 1-0 lead entering the bottom of the 6th, finally giving Tommy Glavine some run support. As Greg Norton lead off the seventh, the Braves were trailing 2-1, but Norton doubled and came around to knot the game at 2. The BRaves would score no more this evening, but the sad part was back in the 6th. I should not complain because the Braves WERE able to manufacture a run following a Kelly Johnson leadoff double, but he was on second with NO outs and Chipper (a .400 hitter) and lil tex (a guy that is leading the team in RBI, shockingly, and is the cleanup man, so you THINK he'd be good in a situation like this.) True they got the run home, but it took BOTH making OUTS to get it done. I was kinda hoping for a single by Chipper and a double by Tex to get it done. Then with 2nd and 3rd maybe McCann and Frenchy making the two outs to get two more runs in. Just saying. I was glad, but at the time I was also worried it would come back to haunt the Braves.
Call me Clare. Clare Voyent.

Well Jair gets the start tomorrow, but it is AWAY from the Ted, so we shall see how he does. Hopefully he can pick up the win so maybe Huddy can get the Sunday win and the Braves can earn a roadtrip split before the Phish hit the town.

That's it. Otherwise, I am disappointed in the Georgia athletic program today. I wore my black G polo shirt today and the golf team struggled in the third round and the baseball lost to enter the losers' bracket of the Athens regional. I will now light that shirt on fire....with me wearing it. The Dawgs need to win twice tomorrow and then twice Sunday to advance. Can they do it? Yeah, but it would have been a LOT easier to just win today, tomorrow around 2 then Sunday around 3. Just saying.
Also, Big Brown goes next week. I saw where the trainer guaranteed a win. Really? With an injured foot and no triple crown winner since Re-affirmed in 1978, you just wanna call Karma out like that? Bold move. We shall see.

No comments: