Friday, May 2, 2008

What's his superpower?DRINKING?

Ironman opened up last night for all those computer dorks that like to stay up late and go see the movie at midnight before heading back to their mom's basement to put in their retainers.
As for the rest of America, some of it will go and see Ironman this weekend. Why, I don't know. My main problem is ROBERT DOWNEY JR as the main hero? Is his superpower the ability to go to rehab? A superhuman thirst for alcohol and drugs? Is his dick-brush/ball-tickler combo part of his powers?

I just don't buy it. It was like when Toby McGuire was cast as Spiderman. I believe him as Peter Parker, but not the superhero. Ummm HGH anyone?

I buy Christian Bale as Batman. He was Jack Kelly for pete's sake. But he is believable as a superhero. I am in the school of thought of casting the superhero first and then make them into the "dork," not casting the dork and making them into a superhero. Toby McGuire was in the second school of thought there. If I was MJ, and I knew TOBY MCGUIRE was webbing through the sky to save me, I think I'd be a LOT more worried than if they cast, say Colin Ferrell.

I think it all goes back to Michael Keaten being the first Batman. Some guys are meant to play heroes and others aren't. Keaten was a good Beetlejuice, and a fine Bruce Wayne, but NOT a believable Batman. I was ROOTING for the Joker in that movie. I was saying, "Come on Vicky Vale, go for the winner!" Then in Batman Forever, when Val Kilmer took over, I believed he was cast for Batman and then made into Bruce Wayne. How it should have been.

All I ask is for my superhero movies to cast the main character in the hero role first, alterego second. Thanks.

No comments: