Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Why so much love for the Pistons?

Just a few things I need cleared up by a Pistons fan out there. I was watching the Pistons beat the Celtics last night, even though I guess I should have stopped watching since Stu Scott said that the Celtics were playing horribly at the half (they were only down 4, does that mean the Pistons were half a step above Horrible? Did that make them just terrible?).

I just don't get all the love that the Pistons get from EVERYONE. Umm they don't have a superstar, but we are told THEY PLAY TEAM BALL. I think I'd rather have a superstar, thank you. THEY PLAY GREAT DEFENSE! Nothing gets the newcomer to the NBA juices flowing QUITE like an 81-74 game! Even for a guy that watches the playoffs EVERY YEAR, I appreciated it the first year, but then they cost the Lakers the title back in 2004. Not that I am a Lakers fan, but I would rather they have won than a boring team that threatened to bring the NBA back to the days of clutch-n-grab

Let me get THIS straight...Richard Hamilton broke a bone in his face HOW many years ago and he STILL wears that mask EVEN though he has healed? How is that legal? Isn't that thing a bit of an advantage for him? Like Barry Bonds wearing all that gear at the plate. Could you imagine if Kobe Bryant wore that? We'd rip him a new one for continuing to look dumb.

ALSO, "Mr. Big Shot," Chauncey Billups? Where did that nickname come from? I am trying to recall any big shot to clinch a series or win a game or just a memorable one.....CAN'T. RECALL. A. SINGLE. ONE. I don't even recall one back in his Colorado days...his Boston days...his Toronto days..his Denver days... Can someone help me out here? I hit a few shots in the rec league I used to play in. Call ME Mr. Big Shot!

And I know this was the first appearance in the playoffs for Hawks fans in a while, but I recall the Atlanta fans getting ripped by national experts and media folk for using the Thunderstix to make noise in their THREE WINS over BOSTON AT HOME. However, the last two games against Boston, I noticed that the Pistons faithful were banging away on those same thunderstix as they LOST AT HOME to Boston in Game 3 and the Thunderstix were out again in the THRILLING game 4 snorefest of a first half. Interesting. I WILL be watching ATH, PTI and reading ESPN to see if the Pistons fans are ripped just like Atlanta fans were.

Finally, back to the PA announcer. I STILL hate that guy. He went OFF for about four paragraphs while introing MR. BIG SHOT last night. Maybe he was telling the story of how Chauncey got the nickname? I don't know. I just hate the guy. DUDE, QUIT trying to swipe the spotlight from the game...AND TNT/ESPN, quit showing this guy and MAYBE he'll stop or at least TONE IT DOWN. You will NEVER be the guy from Chicago circa 1996-7-8. Stop trying please.
Thanks

So if Nathan or some other Pistons fan could PLEASE explain these things to me, that would be FANTASTIC!

No comments: