Friday, May 23, 2008

Top 10 coaches according to Rivals.com....REALLY?

I just caught the Rivals.com top 10 college coaches power poll.
While I DO like that Mark Richt is sitting pretty at No. 6, I don't know how much validity this list has. Let's review it, shall we????

10 Mack Brown Texas
9 Tommy Tuberville
8 Jim Grobe
7 Frank Beamer
6 Mark Richt
5 Bob Stoops
4 Les Miles
3 Urban Meyer
2 Jim Tressel
1 Pete Carroll

I can't disagree with No.1 in Pete Carroll. Might go down as best college coach EVER if the cheating allegations don't catch him, or if he doesn't bolt to the pros. But I don't see USC losing ground ANYtime soon.

At No.2 Jim Tressel...I think he deserves to be on this list, but at No2? He rules a WEAK Big 10 and keeps making the BCS championship game (and losing big in it) because of the ESPN Gameday crew's love of the school (Kirk, Chris, Robert, etc)

Urban Meyer. All bias aside, he does seem to have started a trend of this spread and he does have the most dominant player in the game, but how was his first record at Fla? His third season? I know he went undefeated at Utah and I guess did a good job at Bowling Green, but 10 years from now, will he still be on this list at No.3? I wonder. I just think, unless he adapts his system, once Tebow leaves, they will be screwed. And he does have a little Mack Brown syndrome. Hike it to Tebow and tell him to make a play. Maybe that changes this season with Rainey and Moody back there (you can't count on Harvin, THANK GOODNESS). But while Tebow DOES believe it's not butter, he doesn't have 20 years of eligibility.

Les Miles at No4. Did he go much without Saban's players? I know at Okie State he did enough to get hired at LSU, but I just wonder, since it only took him until his THIRD year to finally win it all, they didn't call him two-loss-Les for just any reason. But he has a Title, something Richt doesn't, but I think UGA beats LSU last year in that SEC Championship game. Just saying. Then it's UGA raising the crystal ball.

Bob Stoops. He has maybe lost some of his magic, but boy he is still a good coach. Two straight Fiesta Bowl loses, but two straight Fiesta Bowls. Should be noted.

Richt. What can I say. I think he deserves to be on the list, and YES I think he is the best coach out there to have never won one (Butch Davis might argue with me on that one), and I think he brings one home this year or next. If both, then put HIM in the top three.

Frank Beamer? Huh? Took advantage of a Probation-rackled Miami and then a weak ACC to get on this list. Oh, and Michael Vick too got him on this list. Wow, though, boy has he turned out some Criminals.

Jim Grobe of Wake Forest? WHAT? Is this a current power poll? How is Bobby Bowden not on it over this guy? How is Nick Saban not on it over this guy? Spurrier over this guy? Shoot, I'd put Fulmer, Butch Davis, Houston Nutt, RichRod and even the Wisco guy on it over Jim Grobe. Is he talented? Yes, but top ten AHEAD of ....

Tommy Tuberville? All TT does is win. Solid but never flashy. That might be why he got screwed back in 2004. Though, I sort of wish they had played USC and gotten crushed, (BECAUSE THEY WOULD HAVE GOTTEN MAULED) just so I don't have to listen to all those AwBarn fans saying "we wuz robt!"

Finally Mack Brown makes the list for losing the only game he played all season for 10 straight years before OU had a rebuilding year and Mack decided his best playcall in 2005-06 was "Hike it to Vince Young and get out of the way" That's not coaching. That's out-athleting everyone else. It might work at Marshall (Jim Donnan) but not always at Texas, unless you have a once-in-a-lifetime player like VY or TTebow. Just saying. Florida, enjoy the next two seasons (or this season, if Tebow leaves early, which he shouldn't. He'll be a TE at the next level) because Texas is your future!

But I disagree with most of this list. Sorry. Saban should have made it. And even Butch Davis for his work with Miami and now UNC. All I am saying. And I will call CMR the best coach never to have won the big one....yet!

No comments: